Monday, July 28, 2014

Ginger Swiss Chard

Swiss chard is another new green for me, with my mainstays being broccoli rabe/rapini, kale, collards and red or green leafy lettuces.  As with the callaloo, this dish surprised me in many ways.
I recently discovered that Swiss chard is a member of the beet family, I researched its origins after I tasted the robust flavor in the stems.  Beets are delicious but time intensive, Swiss chard provides the earthy flavor and vivid color in a third of the time.  I found that the ginger complimented the rich flavor as the sweet onions lightened the dish, and took on the glorious pink color of the chard stems.

Ginger Swiss Chard
Serves 4

  • 1 large bunch red Swiss Chard
  • 1/2 sweet onion sliced in rings
  • 1 large knob of peeled ginger, thinly sliced and cut into matchsticks
  • 3 cloves sliced garlic
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • prepared penne pasta or brown rice
-Trim ends of the Swiss chard
-Cut stalks into 1/2 inch pieces
-Chop leaves coarsely
-Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in nonstick pan at medium
-Add onions, ginger and a few grinds of salt and pepper, cook until the onions soften
-Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes
-Toss in stems of the Swiss chard and 2 Tbsp of water, increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 1-2 minutes
-Add the remaining Swiss chard and cook for 3 minutes 
-Salt and pepper to taste
-put over pasta or rice with a little olive oil over the top

5 comments:

  1. OK, first little criticism. The picture doesn't make me want to eat the meal. The stems look gelid and the pasta looks almost dry. Chard's glory is the beautiful leaves and bright stems. Maybe a bigger plate shoe from farther away. The recipe sounds grand and if it's as good as the broccoli/tofu one I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pops,
      This is the furthest shot that I took, so I hope that it's better. I see what you were saying with the other photo. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Much better. The pasta still looks dry but you don't notice so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pasta actually is at that point. I will try tossing it in a little olive oil or organic butter before taking the picture (as I do before I eat the meal :-) )

      Delete