Thursday, August 7, 2014

Herb Goat Cheese Salad

Since discovering the organic garlic herb goat cheese at my farmers' market, this is the salad that makes me say yum with each bite.  All ingredients aside from the avocado and my homegrown basil are from my weekly produce purchase.

Herb Goat Cheese Salad
Serves 2 for a full meal, 4 as a side

  • 1 large head of red or green leafy lettuce
  • 2 spring onions
  • 2 small organic tomatoes
  • 1/2 avocado 
  • Fresh Basil
  • Organic goat cheese (mine was a garlic basil, any will do)
  • Garbanzo beans if available, preferably freshly cooked
- Cut lettuce, onions, tomatoes and avocado into bite size pieces
-Sprinkle with basil leaves and crumbled goat cheese
-Add garbanzos if on hand

The lettuce and goat cheese are really the stars here.  Once mixed with the simple lemon, olive oil dressing, it becomes a creamy delight, I was surprised at how little dressing is needed.  The crisp onions and tart tomatoes balance the salad perfectly.  

Lemon Dressing
  • 1/2 organic lemon
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
-Squeeze lemon, careful to catch the seeds
-Add 1/2 tsp of freshly ground salt and the same amount of pepper
-Whisk together and leave as you assemble the salad
-Right before serving, drizzle in the olive oil as whisking, add a little more to taste if desired.

Pour the dressing over the salad and gently mix together.  The goat cheese melts with the dressing and coats everything beautifully.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do many times each week.

2 comments:

  1. I made this last night. I made one addition. I dove down to the shrimp trees and got some organic shrimp and sautéed them with spices. A yummy meal. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete